Monday, October 15, 2012

Comments to Question #4

11 comments:

  1. Comment to Sandra's Post:

    I agree that propaganda was an important aspect of the civilian life not only in British culture, but in German culture as well. You stated that positive propaganda about British victories were having the most affect on the public, but I believe that it was more likely the negative propaganda that had the most impact. Most men could see other men fighting in the war, but that would not be enough to make them want to go fight the war, they needed anger towards the enemy in order to give them an agenda of revenge to serve as the purpose of them fighting in the war. I also believe that there was a large amount of censorship during this time, and since many true details about British position in the war were withheld from the public, it could not have been the most influential thing on the British culture. (B. McCune, 149)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alfredo commenting on David‘s post.

    I agree with you that women played a significant role in World War I, and, like you, I was unaware of their importance until I studied the civilian life of France during the war. Because men went off to fight in the war, women had to take the jobs that men would regularly do. You mention that “women tend to be built physically weaker than men”. Although this is for the most part accurate, women did grueling and demanding work such as digging trenches, which one would picture men doing. I like how you point out that you had an “initial misconception that they hadn't played a very large role” because I believe that it’s a misconception that many people initially have, yet by researching and educating ourselves, we learn to appreciate and acknowledge the hard work women did during the war.

    Word Count: 149

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soumya Srivastava
    Comment to Eric Alexander's post:

    I agree with some of what you said. Germany did have a strong defensive and technological advantage over its enemies, but lacked a stable resource transit. Which happened because of Britain’s overall control over the seas, making it difficult for Germany to receive any imports. But what I found the most interesting was the use of poison gas which was a first in this war. Poison gas was a first to be used in WWI and could be used on the trenches even when no attack was going on. While machine gun killed more soldiers overall during the war, death was frequently when poison gas was introduced. The conditions would have to be just right because the if the wind was blowing the opposite direction, it would have the wrong effect. This was not something I knew a lot about.

    Word count 145

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emerald commenting on Andrea’s post:

    I agree that the women’s role during World War I was very interesting. When the men went to war, their previous jobs were filled with women, which was a tremendous social change in the work that was being done by the women. For example, many of the women worked in factories during the war. Before the war, women were in charge of doing housework and looking after the children. Once women were introduced to male jobs, they became more independent. It is also interesting where you state that women were even able to find jobs in the war, such as being nurses or cooks. World War I played a significant role in the social changes in women’s lives. Women were so important in the war that they were used in propaganda to convince husbands that they could take care of themselves once they went off to war.

    Word count: 147

    ReplyDelete
  5. Destiny commenting on Sandra's post:

    I agree with Sandra that propaganda was very important. I learned that it was pretty much the main and most forceful drive behind country alignment behind the war cause. Sometimes people were “on the fence” in regards to if they were for the country joining the war, and propaganda became the thing that persuaded them to finally join the cause. Propaganda not only affected the home front of the war, but it also affected the enemies because it would in some cases, leak false information. In regards to the purpose of the British War Propaganda Bureau, I think that their purpose was not only to show British control but to also, more importantly, expose Germany's weaknesses and the Kaiser in a bad light so that the people would know why they were uniting and what they were fighting against.
    (Word count: 140)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eli Comment on Sandras Post
    I agree with Sandra due to the fact that she does take the perspective of taking undecided people into account. If I was doing propaganda, I would have just done it for the idea of raising a army, not actually bringing in undecided people. So with that, I also agree that propaganda was a powerful device used by the governments to convince people of the idea of war. I didn’t know that there was a entire Bureau dedicated in Britain as I thought propaganda was just churned out by the actual government and not its own little section of the government. With the results that it provided though, I think the bureau did a effective job at showing off the British Emergency control aspect.
    124 Words

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emma commenting on Jared's post -

    While I can see your point in that Russia did fight more offensively and agree with your opinion that Russia made great strides in acting offensively in World War One, I must take fault with your statement that Russia’s defensive actions did not work. Russia’s defensive position militarily may have been faulty and even reckless at times, but they led to great successes in significantly losing their assailants. In the Napoleonic Wars, for example, Russia’s defensive strategy of allowing Napoleon to invade while slowly allowing him and his troops to starve and freeze to death worked. Though one would argue that Russia tactics were endangering to their internal structure, such as the self imposed destruction of Moscow, the tactics overall led to a Russian victory. Russia’s changing strategies in World War One were by no means ineffective, but neither were their original defensive actions that led them to victory.

    Word count - 149 words

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rodolfo commenting on David's post
    I agree with you that an interesting aspect of France during world war 1 was indeed the roles that women played during the war. It's amazing just how much dedication the women had during world war 1 in supporting not only their country but also their troops fighting in the fronts. One of the most interesting and important role that women played during the war was being nurses and doctors. The war produced wounded and a lot of bloodshed, the women were the only ones left behind and packed with their skills and knowledge committed themselves to tend to the wounded. If women hadn't done this the casualties would've been staggering. The interesting part of women getting involved in the war was that many didn't take the first step in grabbing the opportunity. Many's self-esteem was low but with the help of those that took the stand many soon followed.

    Word count- 150

    ReplyDelete
  9. DanThi commenting on Jackie's post.

    I agree that Germany facing trouble in WWI due to blockades is indeed interesting, but the thing that I found most interesting about Germany was its shaky alliance with Austria-Hungary. Out of all the world powers at that moment, Germany was a country that was the most prepared for “total war”. It had the largest army and a good navy and its alliance with another great power would certainly lead them to victory. However, what surprised me was the lack of communication and cooperation between the two nations and their armies’ unwillingness to work together. They didn’t plan together and because of this, France and Britain were able to defeat them with a much smaller army, time after time. Because of their pride, arrogance, and imperialistic tendencies, their alliance was unsuccessful and ultimately cost them the war.

    Word Count: 137

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea commenting on Sandra
    I agree with you completely, propaganda had a major part in WWI. I talked about how women played a major role in WWI. Propaganda was something that helped Britain gain members in their army. However I would have put in something about women. The British women help spread the word to all the British Men with the white feather group. Propaganda wouldn’t have been as successful if Britain didn’t have citizens who cared. I do like however how you incorporated all the aspects of propaganda and supported them with examples. I also liked how you had talked about propaganda in other countries such as Germany.
    Word Count:107

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marre commenting on Jared’s post.

    I find it interesting that you commented on this particular aspect of Russia. The manner in which their tactics changed really shows that time had changed as well, and the rest of the world’s progress left Russia no choice but to go along and adapt to their new surroundings, because for a long time they were isolated due to multiple factors such as the way the government was run, their unbalanced social classes, and their overall foreign policy. By the time World War I came around, these aspects of the country could not assist them in being a successful nation in regards to war, much less on an internal basis where there were constant conflicts and many uprisings among people who favored different things. Much of the internal instability correlates to the changes happening within the country itself.

    Word count: 138

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.