If you were a factory worker in St. Petersburg, which of the political parties would you support? Justify your answer. What are your goals as a factory worker (your country participating in WW I)?
I would support the Russian Social Democratic Party, which was the first Russian Marxist group. The RSDP attracted factory workers, who united on the ideal that despite Russia's strong agrarian nature, the true potential lay in the industrial working class, and it held that Russia could achieve socialism only after developing a bourgeois society with an urban proletariat. The Russian working class was insufficiently developed and this was the first political party that addressed those issues. At the beginning of the 20th century the Russian industrial employee worked on average an 11 hour day (10 hours on Saturday). Conditions in the factories were extremely harsh and little concern was shown for the workers' health and safety. 1904 was a particularly bad year for Russian workers because prices of essential goods rose so quickly that there was a decline of 20 per cent. Father George Gapon, a priest from St. Petersburg expresses the grievances of the workers by saying, “We are impoverished and oppressed, unbearable work is imposed on us, we are despised and not recognized as human beings.” So, with that said, my goals as a factory worker are to attain an 8-hour day and have freedom to organize trade unions, improved working conditions, free medical aid, higher wages for myself as one of many women workers, who replace the men involved in the war. Freedom of speech, press, association and religion, and an end to the war, associated with the pressures and negative conditions of us, are also goals that we have. The transition from an agrarian-focused society, to one in which factory workers are praised instead, is what I desire and the Social Democratic Party, in opposition with the Social Republican Party that supports agrarian interests, does just that. -Destiny Lewis (Word Count: 292)
As a factory worker in St. Petersburg, I would support the Social Democratic Party. This political party would provide me with many benefits as a factory worker. The Social Democratic Party hopes to overthrow the Tsar through revolutions, and there would be improvements in the wages and working conditions of factory workers because at the moment, the health and well-being of the workers are not put into consideration. This political party is based on the theories of Karl Marx, and I would believe that the true revolutionary potential is within the working class. As a factory worker, I would oppose the Socialist-Revolutionary Party. One of my goals would be to create a Socialist state. Through this, factory workers would get more benefits in Russia, where there would be less working hours, more health benefits, and more liberty to organize free trade unions for factory workers. Since the Socialist Democratic Party was split into two groups, I would belong to the Bolshevik group, and I would be one to oppose World War I. One of my greatest ambitions would be to get Russia out of the war as soon as possible. Riots and strikes have also broken out all over the country because Russia continues to fight in the war. In order to improve the working conditions in St. Petersburg, I would be involved in a march organized by Father Gapon, where workers would petition in a peaceful manner for more benefits to be given to the working class. Another one of my goals would be to help establish the Social Democratic Party as an authority in Russia and move Russia away from agrarian interests. My goals and the goals of the Social Democratic Party are identical to one another, and this is why I would support this political party.
1. Choose a question to which you want to respond. Each question is attached as a post. Your post of 250-300 words goes as a "comment" to that post.
2. For your comment of 100-150 words, in the title put your name and to which student's post you are responding. For example, "Valerie commenting on Zlatka's Post". Put it in the section labeled "Comments to Question #__ ". Do NOT put your comments in the same section where you put your original posts.
ALSO... do NOT go back to previous questions. I will no longer look at those.
Grading Periods
6th six weeks...last set! Choose ONE question (#13-15) to answer in a 250-300 work post. Due Friday May 24.
I would support the Russian Social Democratic Party, which was the first Russian Marxist group. The RSDP attracted factory workers, who united on the ideal that despite Russia's strong agrarian nature, the true potential lay in the industrial working class, and it held that Russia could achieve socialism only after developing a bourgeois society with an urban proletariat. The Russian working class was insufficiently developed and this was the first political party that addressed those issues. At the beginning of the 20th century the Russian industrial employee worked on average an 11 hour day (10 hours on Saturday). Conditions in the factories were extremely harsh and little concern was shown for the workers' health and safety. 1904 was a particularly bad year for Russian workers because prices of essential goods rose so quickly that there was a decline of 20 per cent. Father George Gapon, a priest from St. Petersburg expresses the grievances of the workers by saying, “We are impoverished and oppressed, unbearable work is imposed on us, we are despised and not recognized as human beings.” So, with that said, my goals as a factory worker are to attain an 8-hour day and have freedom to organize trade unions, improved working conditions, free medical aid, higher wages for myself as one of many women workers, who replace the men involved in the war. Freedom of speech, press, association and religion, and an end to the war, associated with the pressures and negative conditions of us, are also goals that we have. The transition from an agrarian-focused society, to one in which factory workers are praised instead, is what I desire and the Social Democratic Party, in opposition with the Social Republican Party that supports agrarian interests, does just that.
ReplyDelete-Destiny Lewis (Word Count: 292)
As a factory worker in St. Petersburg, I would support the Social Democratic Party. This political party would provide me with many benefits as a factory worker. The Social Democratic Party hopes to overthrow the Tsar through revolutions, and there would be improvements in the wages and working conditions of factory workers because at the moment, the health and well-being of the workers are not put into consideration. This political party is based on the theories of Karl Marx, and I would believe that the true revolutionary potential is within the working class.
ReplyDeleteAs a factory worker, I would oppose the Socialist-Revolutionary Party. One of my goals would be to create a Socialist state. Through this, factory workers would get more benefits in Russia, where there would be less working hours, more health benefits, and more liberty to organize free trade unions for factory workers. Since the Socialist Democratic Party was split into two groups, I would belong to the Bolshevik group, and I would be one to oppose World War I. One of my greatest ambitions would be to get Russia out of the war as soon as possible. Riots and strikes have also broken out all over the country because Russia continues to fight in the war.
In order to improve the working conditions in St. Petersburg, I would be involved in a march organized by Father Gapon, where workers would petition in a peaceful manner for more benefits to be given to the working class. Another one of my goals would be to help establish the Social Democratic Party as an authority in Russia and move Russia away from agrarian interests. My goals and the goals of the Social Democratic Party are identical to one another, and this is why I would support this political party.
Emerald Rodriguez- 299 words